Suppressor Sales Surge as Dealers Await Federal Guidance
A Texas court ruling that stripped suppressors from federal restrictions has touched off a sales boom — and a wave of confusion over how to legally transfer them. In the week since the decision took effect, manufacturers, dealers, and buyers have reported a surge in demand alongside what Outdoor Life describes as “ongoing chaos” about the process.
What Actually Changed
On Aug. 5, a federal district court ruled in favor of gun-rights groups and suppressor companies, effectively removing “silencers” from the National Firearms Act’s list of restricted items.
Under the old system, buyers had to submit an ATF Form 4, fingerprints, and a photo, then wait for federal approval. That process had gotten faster recently — waiting periods dropped to as little as a day in some cases, and the NFA tax stamp was cut from $200 to $0 — but it remained more involved than a standard firearm purchase.
Because the DOJ did not appeal during the seven-day stay following the ruling, qualifying customers can now legally buy suppressors using a Form 4473 — the same document used to purchase or transfer a firearm at an FFL — as of Aug. 13.
The Requirements
The over-the-counter option isn’t open to everyone. Buyers must live in one of the 27 states that don’t impose their own NFA-stamp requirement. They also need either membership in a plaintiff organization or must purchase a suppressor supplied by one of the plaintiffs.
The plaintiff retailers and manufacturers include B&T USA, SilencerCo, Silencer Shop, Palmetto State Armory, and Hot Shots Custom LLC, a small FFL in Hartley County, Texas.
Demand has hit the plaintiff organizations hard. Gun Owners of America declined to share specific membership figures but confirmed a spike. “When the ruling first came out, traffic to our website was so substantial that it was crawling as people registered. Which was a great problem to have,” said GOA director of development marketing Kailey Neiman, who could not log into the site herself at the time. “We’ve been working around the clock to make sure that it continues to speed up.”
Federal Silence
The Department of Justice and ATF headquarters have not responded to public or private requests for clarity. The successful plaintiffs in the combined cases of Silencer Shop v. ATF and Jensen v. ATF sent a letter asking five key questions and requesting a response by Aug. 21. As of press time, neither agency had replied, according to Outdoor Life.
Industry insiders told Outdoor Life that the silence is intentional. Interpreting the ruling could jeopardize the administration’s chances of a successful reversal — the DOJ has until Oct. 5 to appeal or stay the decision. One source familiar with the lawsuits said the ATF reportedly instructed its local branches to stop providing any guidance, since the agency lacks decision-making authority over suppressor regulations.
The result has been mixed messaging on the ground. Grand Teton Gun and Range in Rexburg, Idaho, reported “going through inventory like crazy” in its first 20 minutes open one day last week, then paused non-NFA sales after its local ATF branch advised halting the transfers. Two days ago, the shop resumed 4473 transfers under Jensen v. ATF following “a long weekend of further discussions with industry partners, associations and others.”
“There are back-channel conversations that are happening right now between the attorneys,” said Bill Sack, senior director of legal operations for the Second Amendment Foundation, noting that nothing formal had hit the docket. “ATF is not normally in the position of interpreting law, especially when it was a judgment from a judge,” added Brandon Maddox, president and CEO of Silencer Central.
Silencer Central and Palmetto State Armory are both selling suppressors without NFA registration to walk-in customers, in South Dakota and South Carolina respectively, per Outdoor Life’s reporting.
The post Suppressor Sales Surge as Dealers Await Federal Guidance appeared first on AllOutdoor.com.